Names First


A very informal list of first names, with some history, trivia, comments, opinions, etc., along with the obligatory origins and meanings. Comments, suggestions, and above all, corrections, are encouraged.


Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Rhonda

I knew a Rhonda in elementary school. I didn't like her. Rhonda, if you're out there, I just want you to know that if you wouldn't have mispronounced words when I was forced against my will to do spelling drills with you, I wouldn't have misspelled them. And I wonder to this day if you still say "ofent" when you see the word "often."

Had to get that off my chest. Sorry.

Alrighty then. Rhonda is a Celtic name and means "good spear," so if you are you looking for a name for your favorite weapon before you take it into battle, look no further. It's not exactly "Excalibur," but then you're not King Arthur, are you?

For practical naming purposes, Rhonda appeared on the U.S. top 1000 list in the 1940's, made it all the way to 44th most popular in the 1960's, and has been falling out of favor ever since. 1994 was the last year it was even in the top 1000.

So what happened to Rhonda? It may be that it's just one of those shooting star names, here today, gone tomorrow. There is also the little matter of a well-known song--"Help Me Rhonda" casts Rhonda as a girl expected to be a substitute for the girl the singer really wants. Not an image most parents want for their newborn daughters.

Labels: , , ,

Comments on "Rhonda"

 

post a comment

eXTReMe Tracker