Names First


A very informal list of first names, with some history, trivia, comments, opinions, etc., along with the obligatory origins and meanings. Comments, suggestions, and above all, corrections, are encouraged.


Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Rozena

"Why," you ask, "is she listing a name like Rozena?"

Eh, well, why not? Actually, in a branch of my family tree there is a Rozena, born in 1854, so I have my reasons, flimsy though they may be.

Alright, Rozena.

A couple of internet sources say that Rozena is a Native-American name and means "Rose Blossom." I think the chances are good that both those sources found that information in the same book, and since I don't know what book that might have been, I'm noting that here as "something to look up."

Behind the Name doesn't list the name at all--and I'm going to stop in a moment and make a link to that site on the sidebar, so I don't have to constantly type the URL.

A Google search shows that incidences of Rozena (that makes it sound like a medical condition, doesn't it?) have occurred in places like South Africa and Czechoslovakia (did I spell that even remotely correctly?) so I'm thinking that this may be a name with multiple origins. It struck me on first glance as being some form of Rose--so isn't it odd that the Native-American meaning is supposed to be rose blossom? What's going on here?

Popularity-wise, this name just isn't widely used and never has been. I'd consider it useful as a name for an RPG character, or possibly a cat, but I don't believe I'd name my daughter Rozena...then again, now that I've looked at it every time I've typed it, it's sort of growing on me.

Labels: , , , ,

Comments on "Rozena"

 

post a comment

eXTReMe Tracker